Sunday, May 19, 2013

Paper vs Digital Codex Comparison

Garfy over at Tale of Painters (awesome blog!) posted a great piece comparing the pros and cons of digital vs paper Codex and Army Books.  Worth a read for sure, and I wanted to share my own thoughts that I posted there in a comment:



I have Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marines and now High Elves on iBooks. I bought Chaos Daemons hardcover (Nurgle!) and I regret it.

For me:

- the ability to tap any rule/ability and see the details of how they work is invaluable - especially for an infrequent player like me.
- it's incredibly fast/easy to navigate
- it stays up to date with all corrects/errata etc
- images are gorgeous
- can easily carry multiple codexes around without back pain ;D
- you can buy it at 11:43PM on a Sunday night if you suddenly decide to play a new army - without leaving your house
- as you said, can read it in the dark

The only downside for me is the same as yours - can't sell it when I'm done with it! BUT - I currently have a few mint condition latest codexes/army books and can't find local buyers for them. I suspect there is low demand because people often buy the latest books out of hype/buzz, and also frankly they can be pirated. So selling it on is decreasing as an issue for me.

Lastly: I'm not sure "can't get it on Android" is a negative for the digital book. It's a negative in terms of GW not servicing demand, but it does nothing to detract from how awesome the iPad version is, and android users can buy the physical copy so they aren't losing anything. I guess what I'm saying is it's a negative but not in the sense that "you bought it and are not satisfied", per se.

I think I'm done with paper army books and Codexes.



4 comments:

  1. Android users ARE losing something. We're losing all of the benefits you mentioned. You listed quite a few. I very much want the same experience that you have. Excluding Android users is baffling to me. iProducts are just not my preference. Yes I can suck it up and buy the book but I'm missing out on the digital fun. I'm not satisfied. I know that there is a better option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well allegedly they're looking at android releases this month!

      They will be pared down experiences but at least will have searchable terms so better than scanning your hardcopy!

      Perhaps because of the loss of extra functions it may ACTUALLY be cheaper?

      Delete
  2. Yeah what I mean is - the digital codex should be compared to the paper codex to rate if it's good/better/worse or whatever. The fact that it's not on Android doesnt make the product worse, it makes the company bad for not supporting more devices. Similar to the Last of Us - it's only on PS3, so I can't play it, but that doesnt mean it doesnt deserve a high rating when it comes out (if it's good :)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I sound bitter. I am. GW has been like an abusive girlfriend. Beautiful to look at and fun to "play with". Her downside is that she's extremely expensive to date and shortsighted to your needs. The relationship was great for a while (the 90's) but now she's been beating me for the last ten years. I try to break up with her but then she shows up at my local game store with gifts (Dark Vengeance box set, Dark Eldar etc.)

      *sigh*

      Delete