Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Pits of Shame

Hey guys,

I thought I'd take some shots of my unpainted metal and plastic morass.  This is an accumulation that took years, but still haunts me.

That said, I'm looking at ways to start stripping and salvaging some of this stuff. For example, I have a metal Sammael I'm working on stripping now that I have Dark Angels on the brain...
This guy. 60 dollar model!
 So far what I do is use undiluted Simple Green (soak for 24-48 hours or more) and scrub with a toothbrush. The results are never very good - lots of paint just wont seem to come off, despite a lot of scrubbing, and the "nooks and crannies" drive me crazy. I know I'm scrubbing hard and fast, but it doesn't seem to matter.  Would an electric or sonic toothbrush or waterpick do better? Has anyone tried?

I've read about "Fairy Power Spray" but they don't seem to have it in Canada. So I'm contemplating my choice of stripper, tool(s) and methods. Any tips or ideas? I'm also thinking about getting an ultrasonic cleaner but again they seem like they aren't sold in stores locally.

Please comment if you have additional suggestions, as I have a LOT of models I could be salvaging!



12 comments:

  1. This might be of some help: http://youngwolf7.com/?page_id=3032

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Try Super Clean degreaser 25 hour soak full strength ...down here in the States I get it at wall mart it comes in a purple 1 gallon container and is sold in the auto Dept. Auto shops may also sell it. I have been using it for about 7 years since acetone isn't so safe and melts plastic. SUPER CLEAN works great on metal plastic and resin but make sure you wear gloves because it will eventually burn your hands with prolonged exposure (it sucks the moisture right out of your skin). You will be amazed how well it works ..if you cant get SUPER CLEAN I sure the Auto store will sell a similar degreaser of such strength ...the type use to clean oil and paint of shop floors;) I would also tell you easy off oven cleaner works well burnished nor trouble than its worth and is awful to work with . Good luck I hope you find the stuff cause, I swear by it;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sorry, I don't know why auto correct wrote burnished...what I meant was, but it's more trouble than its worth ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read YoungWolf7 post sorry should have looked first, but that is right on advice either Purple Power or Super Clean and you will never turn back;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah darn, I was just at Canadian Tire and I did see purple bottles of Super Clean there. I may go back and get some. For now I picked up "Simple Green Max" and am trying that out. Also have to solve for a better tool solution than my crappy toothbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried rotary toothbrushes before. They do seem to help some, but they are limited to where they can reach due to their design. A useful tool that I use for metal models is a carbon steel brush wheel in my Dremel. Great for polishing up and flaking off old primer left behind in nooks & crannies. Don't try it on plastic or resin minis obviously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I tried using one on a plastic mini lol - THAT didnt go well, stopped very quickly. Maybe it will help on metal ones though like you say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. whoa, that is load of stuff to strip. I use simple green as well, but I follow up with a turn in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaning machine. Using the machine I was able to completely strip a resin FW squad that had caked on white primer. You might want to invest in one with that huge pile to clean in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, I've been thinking of getting one. What model do you have and where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jarret, you could always give away your Pit of Shame. That would fix the problem and make someone else (like me) pretty happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I use acetone for my pewter minis to get of old paints. But never use it for your plastic minis.

    ReplyDelete