Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dark Angels Tactical Squad Finished

Finished up this first Tactical Squad unit of Dark Angels, from the Dark Vengeance starter box. It won't win any awards but I'm quite satisfied with the results. In the interest of being able to remember as I paint more of these, and partially because some of you mind find it informative, below I'm listing out the colors and techniques I used...

Dark Angels Tactical Squad - Dark Vengeance Starter Set

  • Primed with Vallejo Black Primer (the kind that comes in a bottle for airbrushing - nice stuff!)
  • Green was base of Caliban Green, and a light airbrush highlight with Warpstone Glow. Then I did the edges with Moot Green.
  • Metals were boltgun metal base, highlight of chainmail, washed with Badab Black.
  • Reds are Khorne Red with a highlight of Mephiston Red
  • Plasma was base of Fenrisian Grey, Highlite of white, washed with Asureman Blue, re-highlite on the edges with white. I think I'm missing a step on this but don't recall!
  • Golds are based with Warplock Bronze, Washed with Devlan Mud, highlighted with Bright Bronze (Vallejo GC)
  • Tabard is base of Zandri Dust, shaded with some Vermin Brown, Washed with Gryphon Sepia, Highlighted with P3 Rucksack Tan, then adding some Ushabti Bone and some Screaming Skull to the tan for a couple of highlights.
  • Ribbing at the joints is P3 Cryx Bane Highlite, washed with Badab Black (I actually used Didi's Magic Wash but Badab should work too).
  • Eyes were I think Mephiston Red and then a bit of the Orange-red (Evil Suns Scarlet?). I'm not super happy with the eye lenses, I seem to have forgotten how to do them well.
  • Skin on the seargent is Bugman's Glow, wash of Reikland Flesh, then some re-layering and highlights of Bugmans mixed with Cadian flesh.
  • Bases were Adeptus Battlegrey, then Fortress Grey highlight. Grass is Army Painter Wilderness tufts.
  • White was basically just a couple of layers of Ceramite White, shaded with a bit of Fenrisian Grey between wings and swords. I'm still working on what color I want to base my whites with (for example, on Ravenwing wings where you can see blue/grey between the feathers). 
EDIT: knew I was forgetting something. Chest eagles were based with Zandri Dust, washed with Sepia, highlited with Ushabti Bone and then Screaming Skull.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, nice work! Hoping mine turn out as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you need to thin the Vallejo primer? I was told it was good straight from the bottle, but unfortunately it filled my airbrush with thick grey rubbery goop (I was using the grey coloured primer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm - not so far. I basically pop a siphon cap right onto the bottle of primer (smaller size) and start spraying. If it's too thick though (maybe an older bottle?) I would just mix some up like I do my other colors I guess, in a 2oz bottle.

    ReplyDelete